The Delp Details

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Follow WHO?

Tomorrow, Joel and I will be going to Chicago to have our final interviews to hopefully be approved as long-term missionaries with the Evangelical Covenant Church.  If all goes well, Joel will be ordained as a REVEREND, I will be consecrated as a missionary and we will BOTH be commissioned by the church.  These are exciting times for us, but as we probably all know, excitement is not always easy in the midst of daily life, with work etc.  As I said in the previous post, I feel I am living in 2 Worlds and I feel a long way from what God has called us to long term as missionaries.  I get caught up in work and the learning curve of learning a new, high stress, high responsibility job. 
But, yesterday as I was reading in Luke, I was reminded of so many things.  In Chapter 4, when Jesus was rejected in Nazareth, He reads these words...
The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.  He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
One verse later He says...
Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing
HOW POWERFUL to know that just by hearing the above words, that scripture was fulfilled.  Not that people took that too well at that time, but to know that and to HEAR that...WOW.

I went on to read the next chapter as well about the calling of the first disciples.  It's not like I haven't heard these stories before, I have heard them or read them many times, but I was profoundly touched yesterday at the power of Jesus.  To tell both Simon, James, John and Levi to leave everything to follow Him and they did!  Without thinking twice, without question, without getting things in order, they just...followed Him.

When I think of these two chapters, I think of, number one, Jesus' call while HE was on earth from Luke 4, to proclaim the good news to the poor, free the prisoners, recover sight, set free the oppressed and proclaim Christ!  And then in the next chapter He is calling others to come with Him.  I want to be one of those, and in the midst of the busyness of life and feeling like I am under mounds of other THINGS to do, I was reminded of God's call to me and to all of us, to follow Him, to proclaim the good news to the poor, to recover sight, free prisoners and the oppressed and to proclaim Christ! 
As I go tomorrow to be interviewed about my call to be a missionary, some days I feel prepared to do this.  Other days I feel like the Lord must be crazy for calling ME to do this because I don't have it together at all!  But whether it's a prepared day or a not-so-together day, God is going to use me regardless and I need to be willing to drop it all and Go and follow Him to fulfill His purpose on earth!

No comments: