The Delp Details

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Lenten Season


Today is Ash Wednesday and that means the beginning of Lent. Growing up I always wondered what that meant-Lent that is because that wasn't a huge focus in the church I grew up in. Over the years however, I have learned and continue to learn what the season of Lent is and what it can do in our journey. I read this today about Lent and thought I would share it with you...

During Lent, traditionally observed for the 40 days leading up to Easter Sunday, followers of Christ all around the world sacrifice things important to them, intentionally drawing themselves away from desires driven by their five senses. Lent helps us become more focused on the spiritual part of ourselves, preparing our hearts to genuinely experience the passion of Jesus’ sacrifice for us on the Cross. Lent draws us closer to God through purposeful prayer, self-denial, repentance, giving, and time in the Bible:

“Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.”
—Romans 8:5


I am going to take a challenge presented by a friend to read the Gospels throughout this Lenten season. Starting tomorrow we are to read 2 chapters starting in Luke. I sometimes get nervous taking on challenges like this-probably because I don't want to fail. I pray God uses this time in the work to draw me closer to himself as we experience His journey to the Cross.

No comments: