The Delp Details

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Another question for you

Did everyone or anyone see or hear about the shooting in the Miami airport on Wed by the Federal Air Marshall? Well, this story hit home for both of us and got us thinking and I just thought I would share it with you all. First of all, when we first moved to Chicago, Joel worked with the Federal Air Marshalls. He didn't actually ride the planes, he did all the computer work for them (top secret security stuff), so he knows a lot of them here in the area. The other part of the story is that that plane was coming from Quito, Ecuador. We made the exact same flight this summer! I am not exactly sure how to feel about the whole situation. I mean, I'm sure we can all agree that it is such a sad situation and absolutely devastating. That is not in question. I mean the Federal Air marshall is trained to take people out, especially if they are at risk for security and safety. This of course generated an on-going conversation for Joel and I. As Christians, how are we to react? Before 9/11 and since 9/11 should we not be taking precautions for security? And especially in the idea of killing those that are a threat (our enemies)-what are we to do? Are we supposed to take the Sermon on the Mount as it is written to 'turn the other cheek'? Is there a limit to turning the other cheek? I won't tell you what conclusion we came to, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Anyway, I was just thinkin...
For more about the story go to www.msn.com

No comments: