The Delp Details

Monday, April 23, 2012

Soapbox...

If you know me, you know that there are a lot of things I am passionate about.  Unfortantely (more for you than me probably) if you get me talking about these things, I probably could talk your ear off.  I will try to keep this to a minimum with this topic.
I couldn't help but think this would be a great blog topic when I walked by this huge pile of trash that I found on the beach while I was walking the other day.  I was glad to find it on the beach and that it was not in the ocean anymore, but it got me thinking of how many things LIKE this are still floating in the oceans right now.
I don't know if you can see it, but there are plastic bags and other bags wrapped around the branch.  These are things that fish and other animals in the ocean can get caught in and eventually die.
I know I usually have soapboxes more about things like vaccines, medical related stuff and the poor, but I just feel that the oceans as they are are things I want my children and other generations to experience like I have-free of trash.  What do YOU think?
So what do we do about it?  Some things we have adopted in our household is to only use reusable bags when we go to the store.  This is ANY store-the grocery, the market etc...we try to have them with us.  My in-laws always have the bags in their car so they don't forget them!
Another suggestion would be to use a reusable plastic or aluminum bottle or mug for your water and coffee. I HATE plastic water bottles and think they are kind of dumb, especially when you can just refill the bigger water bottles.  Imagine how much less trash there would be if we didn't use plastic bottles...

Lastly, my friend recently posted this and I thought it was noteworthy.  Check out the link
Garbage Patch
What are your thoughts?????????

No comments: