The Delp Details

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Remember When...

This week is finals week for me at Rush University. It's interesting to be involved in finals week now that I am OLD compared to what finals week was like in undergrad.
I know not all colleges did this, but the 2 or 3 that I went to were just awesome for finals week!
At Asbury College, the night before finals started, the faculty served US a huge breakfast spread and we all just hung out! There and at IWU, I got fun 'finals packages' from mom and dad, church people, etc that were filled with highlighters, candy, an apple or something (to pretend they were being healthy) and lots of RAMEN NOODLES! AHHHH, I miss Ramen. It just doesn't taste quite the same as it did in college.
I remember staying up till all hours of the night, well actually morning 'pretending to study' and then realizing I really HAD to study or get a paper done. It was so fun being around all your friends and knowing they were all in the same boat with you. It was stressful, but the stress was overshadowed with friends, food, and fellowship.
Finals week now...
Well, lets just say there is not much of the above besides stress. Not to be a downer, but there is just SO much pressure. I don't know where things changed. The friends are not all here, no fun packages (except maybe when Joel brings me a DQ or a coffee). It's just not the same. Is it weird to say I miss finals in undergrad. Defintely never thought those words would ever be written by me.
Anyway, what if anything do YOU remember about finals week?
OH, I almost forgot the best thing I remember...
PAPA JOHNS PIZZA AND BREADSTICKS!
AAAHHHH the memories!

6 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I think I blocked out finals week. I don't remember anything. Actually, since I was an art major, most everything would have just been major art projects.. spending 20 hours in the computer, photo, painting, ceramics, or whatever rooms.
Yeah, I don't miss that at all.

Chista said...

I totally know what you mean kim. I miss it too! The all nighters is what i liked the best, but i don't think i did much studying during that time.

Amy said...

OK, my final finals week: I threw up during a math exam. I barely made it through the rest of them. That was so much fun.

Every time I think about starting grad courses, I look at my kids and change my mind. No way could I survive taking classes, writing papers, and studying right now. Besides, who am I kidding? I can't remember the last time I was able to read for fun. OK, excluding the mandatory Dr. Suess assignments that having kids brings.

Anonymous said...

hmm, I have no fond memories of finals week. Perhaps the stress of this week is getting to you... ;) I have prayed for you often this week and hope all went well! See you soon.

Robin said...

I've been thinking of you so much this week, and praying that God would carry you through. I hope your finals went well, and that you're currently stuffed with turkey and asleep on the couch right now.

You're right about grad finals being so much different than undergrad. And I think in the medical field there's a whole lot more pressure -- mistakes are deadly, and there's so much to learn. I studied an average of 100 hours each for my individual tests, and finals were comprehensive.

BUT this too shall pass, and in the not too distant future. You're going to be a great NP, even if there are bumps on the road to getting there. You can do it!

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your encouragement! I really needed to hear it! Finals are done, YEAH!
I really felt the prayers this week. Thank you all so much!