The Delp Details

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Reflections on Pentecost


The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”
13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

I went to church today needing a touch from Jesus.  I was tired, worn out, sad, and just feeling really spent.  The words I heard when we walked in the church were "Come, Lord Jesus, Come".  I knew from earlier in the week that this was Pentecost, but I suppose like always, I forgot or it got lost in the busyness of diaper changes, reading, errands, cooking and life.  I'm sure you all understand.  I'm sure you walk into church or feel like I was feeling a lot.  I know I'm not alone.  It's been a hard month too.  With losing Patah, traveling, preparations for the future, my classes, finding out once again I'm not pregnant, there is a lot of burden and sorry I have been carrying.  Like I said, I felt...spent.  
I suppose this might have lead to a feeling of needing Jesus.  I mean, we always tell ourselves we're fine and we can do it.  We know Jesus is in control, blah, blah, blah, but I suppose when you feel the way I was, you come to a point when you just need Jesus, you need His touch, you need His power, and yes HIS SPIRIT.  
I've read this passage a lot in my life and heard different sermons on it as well.  There was something different about today.  I knew as soon as I read the passage for the sermon that today I was going to hear from God.  The realization I came to is that I'm not living my life as someone who has received the Holy Spirit.  Don't worry, that doesn't scare me and it shouldn't scare you either, but it did bring me to a point where I know I need to change.  Life gets in the way, yes, even ministry gets in the way sometimes.  I am not exempt from this just because I am a missionary.  God's spirit, the one that called me to Him and the one that gave me my call to be a missionary has somehow gotten lost in my everyday life. The believers at Pentecost couldn't HELP being overcome in their very beings by what was going on around them.  Why should I be any different?  Sure I'm not experiencing exactly what they did, but I am a recipient of the Holy Spirit, I know God has breathed breath into my life time after time.  I just want to live that way, daily!  I know ministry is difficult.  I know everyday life gets in the way.  But I so want to live each day as someone who is living proof of Jesus' work.
All who are thirsty
All who are weak
Come to the fountain
Dip your heart in the stream of life
Let the pain and the sorrow
Be washed away
In the waves of his mercy
As deep cries out to deep (we sing)

Come Lord Jesus come


No comments: